DID YOU KNOW?
TERREIRO DO PAÇO
Arco da Rua Augusta was originally designed by Santos de Carvalho to celebrate the swift reconstruction of the city after the earthquake of 1755. Finally completed in 1873, the monumental arch shows the allegorical figure of Glory crowning Genius and Bravery. Below them are important historical figures and allegorical representations of the rivers Tagus and Douro.
Lisbon’s first bishop was an Englishman! After the Siege of Lisbon, many Crusaders decided to stay in the city. Gilbert of Hastings (†1166), went on to become Lisbon’s first bishop.
SANTA JUSTA LIFT
The elevator was designed by Raul Mesnier de Ponsard, a student of the great iron craftsman Gustave Eiffel. It was originally powered by a steam engine, the elevator motor was converted to cleaner electric operation in 1907.
It was originally constructed as a lighthouse and a defensive fortress on a small island off the River Tagus; however, the shift of the riverbank location has resulted to it standing on the mainland at present.
The delightful Remodelado trams date from the 1930s. A ride along the entire 28 tram route provides one of the best tours of the capital and is often a highlight of any holiday to Lisbon.
Size : A5 (210x148mm)
Paper: Favini Brut Blanc, 270gsm
High-Quality Digital Print
Frame not included.